Eclectic, glamorous, luxury, some design classics, cosy, comfy, colourful….
So many others have mentioned this before me and many more will…. but design and style have nothing to do with money. Of course a little money helps but design is all about understanding what works well or better what doesn’t work. About combining a luxury item with cheaper high street or flea market finds. About being individualistic, perhaps a bit wacky but never boring or having those showroom copies. Say money was no object how easy is it to go to an expensive shop or even an exclusive interior designer and have your house remodelled just like that shop window or that slightly boring but luxury magazine picture….very easy but does that guarantee style or design that will be remembered by friends family or anyone you find important enough to have an opinion? Nope.
A true stylish home does have some design icons and a few over ‘ the top indulgent’ pieces that might cost a bit but to achieve that true stylish and sexy room requires a lot more ….that – to most – money can’t buy There are quite some boring and – by some viewed – as stylish interior designers that I would never spend my money on – I won’t mention them now!! There are also some others I would definitely spend all my hard earned money on such as Kelly Wearstler, Jonathan Adler and Jean-Louis Deniot. Depending on how this blog goes i would like to share my views on design/style, must haves, do’s and don’ts. In my world these are some important themes:
- Colour, – what does she mean? Bold, rainbow, pastel, moody?
- Glamour – Hollywood style, 50’s, or just plain tacky?
- Design classics – What? Eames, Rietveld, Harcourt,Thonet, Paulin, Ikea or what??
- Different style eras: mid century, antiques, art deco, plastic fantastic 70’s?
- Textures – Leather, sheepskin, silk, concrete? Patterns, wallpapers – A yes always or no never? Accessories – over the top ‘ jaw- dropping’ or refined mood creators?
- Lamps – large, small, standing, wall sconces. Bright and functional, little pools of warmth?
The list goes on and on…..